Education Major, Fitness instructor, Zumba enthusiast, and French speaker living life one crazy day at a time.
I hope this all makes sense. I have some things I need to get out.
I’ve been visiting Morocco for just a week. Sadly, the stereotypes are true. Men catcall and holler at the women, especially foreigners. Yes, all the time. Yes, it’s annoying. But, I can handle the catcalling. I can handle the stares. I can ignore it all.
Tonight, I had quite a different experience. The other two girls I am traveling with and myself went on a day trip to a small valley village. On this trip, we met a nice boy named Johan from, of course, Sweden. Johan has been in Marrakech on his own for 5 days. I thought he might like some company and invited him out for dinner and drinks with us. We had a grand evening. We ate delicious salads for dinner. Then continued to a bar, few and far between, for a drink. We enjoyed one drink and played some cards.
Around midnight, we parted ways. Johan’s hotel was one direction and ours the other— merely 4 blocks. A group of guys was nearing us on quite a busy street. They called to us, yelling, “Mademoiselles! Do you speak French?” (In French). We ignored them as that is usually the best option. As we passed them, one grabbed my boob and ran.
I was in shock. What the fuck just happened? When my brain caught up to the situation. I turned on my heel and yelled in a booming voice, “HEY! Don’t you dare touch me. Fuckers.” They were half a block or more away. Otherwise, I would have pursued them. I was fuming mad. Seriously?! I was wearing long jeans and a big sweater as well as a scarf. That is not at all “asking for it.” As some people would say.
The boys ran off laughing.
The boys ran off laughing.
As if it was okay to do such a thing. I am shocked to think it even is remotely okay anywhere. As a feminist, this place is draining. I have to keep all comments to a minimum. I’d rather say nothing then accidentally provoke something. But when something like grabbing or touching happens, it is unacceptable.
The other night, a man pulled over his motor bike to hit on us. Also on the bike, a two year old boy chanting, “I love you. Hahah.” If that child grows up under the influence of pigs such as this, how is this country supposed to move forward? What does that mean for future generations but the same repetitive behavior against women?
Caitlin Moran, How to Be a Woman
For some reason, I have been really open about my decision to be childfree since I arrived in France. It is refreshing. I constantly have to defend myself and my reasoning, but I have not yet found a reason to push a human being out of my vag. Not worth it.
Doing what I want to do
The perks of being single
And the downfalls
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists.
Juan Cole, 08/09/2012
Juan Cole actually wrote this 4 days after a white terrorist, yes, terrorist, murdered 6 and injured 4 people at a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin. The terrorist who committed said crime spoke of an impending “racial holy war” beforehand and was a member of white supremacist/neo-Nazi hate groups.